Child Find Policy
As a public charter school within the North Bend School District (NBSD), Oregon Virtual Academy abides by NBSD's child identification procedures.
North Bend School District uses an ongoing system to locate, identify and evaluate all children birth to 21 residing in the district, including children with disabilities who are homeless, wards of the state and children attending private schools, suspected of being eligible for special education unless these children are no longer entitled to a free appropriate public education under OAR 581-015-0600 to -0602. This ongoing system includes:
- Public awareness activities (e.g., local media resources including television, radio or newspaper; direct contact activities in the community, including presentations at community meetings, business group meetings and other meetings; outreach to those who may not understand English or who may live in rural or isolated areas);
- Before any major child find activity, the district will publish notice in newspapers or other media, or both, informing parents that confidentiality requirements apply to these activities. Circulation for this notice must be adequate to inform parents within the district;
- A system in each school, public charter school and public alternative school in the district to ensure that:
- a. District staff are knowledgeable of the characteristics of disabilities and appropriate referral of students suspected of having disabilities; and
- b. Special education referrals from parents, teachers and others, including state agencies, are directed to appropriate special education staff.
- The district provides information on special education services in the district and the district's special education referral process to facilities located in the district, including private schools, day care centers, homeless shelters, group homes, county jails, hospitals and other facilities that serve children birth to 21 years old;
- The district provides information on special education services, and how to make a referral, to any migrant education programs operating in the district.